ColdFusion 10 - Wish List
I did this for ColdFusion 9 while it was under its initial development, and even though 9 just came out earlier this week. It's time again to reflect and come up with new features for ColdFusion 10 (codename Link). The team at Adobe will soon be compiling their own list of features, so this is the time to pitch your idea. Feel free to comment to this and add anything I may have missed.
While attending the CF Unconference at Adobe Max, there were several times where we sat around and were brainstorming on new features. This is the list I took from my notes plus some additional items I'm adding in.
- Server-side Actionscript support
- Incorporate Omniture capabilities and features
- Message queue feature
- Be able to call a CFC from Java and to have a CFC be able to extend a Java object
- Queryparam functionality for LDAP calls
- Multiple datasource support in ORM
- NTLM support
CF Admin or Monitor features
- The ability to link RDS and CFAdmin users to LDAP (or Active Directory to be more specific)
- Decouple CF Monitor from the main CF Process so it can properly run while the server is experiencing problems
- Be able to toggle off deprecated tags and functions in the cfadmin
- Proxy server setting in CFAdmin to route http calls etc. through a proxy.
- Thread limit per application (or sandbox)
- Better Log viewer in CFAdmin, also include runtime logs
- Better updater for CF updates and patches
- Linux support for CF Builder
- Load Tester in CF Builder
My particular requests not already listed above
- CFAdmin should be running entirely off the adminapi CFCs. It's currently not which creates some interesting disconnects between the two.
- Enhance VFS support for zip files, ftp, S3 cloud
- Better installation process (development server versus production server, etc)
- Change the default client variable storage from registry to either cookie or derby
- We have Sharepoint and Exchange integration - what about LiveCycle and InDesign Server integration?
- Have a cachedUntilChanged in the cfquery tag
- Better internationalization support
- Perhaps a lite version of Flash Media server bundle in with CF Server
- Call a CFC method with cfschedule without using a URL path (just via component path)
- Incorporate JHOVE or similar project for file validation - http://hul.harvard.edu/jhove/
- Integration with the Adobe Collaborative Services (basically be able to drop in whiteboard, video camera, etc. with a cf tag call)
- CFgroovy - Barney Boisvert's project should be a part of the language. Be able to inject python, java, groovy or php code into a cfml page.
- Barcode generator
- Support for cfant tag and also subversion support
- DNS groper
- A better wysiwyg - Adobe should be able to build a better editor than FCKeditor
Items Adobe has said so far they will address in CF10
- Reporting features
- Rich media
- Additional support for Cloud Services
Items Adobe is addressing within the life of CF 9
- Amazon AMI pricing and support